Del Monte Food's operations began in Markesan, Wisconsin in 1952 with the purchase of the Grand River Canning Company's pea and corn plant. In 1960, Del Monte purchased the adjacent Markesan Canning Company and converted it to a green bean operation.
Raw product is purchased from growers in three growing areas: Central Illinois, Southern Wisconsin and the Central Sands area of Central Wisconsin. Full time employment at Markesan is currently 72 people, including office and administrative personnel. During the processing season, over 300 seasonal employees, some of whom have worked for 30 seasons, are utilized throughout the facility. Approximately 70% of the seasonal workforce is contracted migrant workers, 211 of whom are provided with on-site housing.